As of the 1st of October 2023, through to the 30th of April 2024, preferred lies on closely mown areas (maximum of 6 inch relief) are permissible. Please see Model Local Rule E-3 below.
"When a player's ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:
- Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
- Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: 6 inches from the reference point, but with these limits:
- Limits on Location of Relief Area:
- Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
- Must be in the general area.
In proceeding under this Local Rule, the player must choose a spot to place the ball and use the procedures for replacing a ball under Rules 14.2b(2) and 14.2e."
John Kennedy, BB&O
Why are Preferred Lies on Fairways or 'Winter Rules' so important?
- Protects your course / fairways - reduces the likelihood of divots on fairways
- Extends the enjoyment of the summer season ie more enjoyable to play a fairway shot without mud on your ball or a poor lie
Thank you and enjoy the course!!