PRINCES RISBOROUGH GOLF CLUB
News Update June 2020
We are now in the early stages of emerging from the Lockdown and have been able to return to 9 hole golf within the discipline of the social distancing rules. Many of you have taken the opportunity to enjoy our lovely course over the last few weeks and to get a feel for some of the changes that are being introduced, not only in terms of arrangements and golfing behaviour, but also in terms of the course changes that are being made, particularly to the 9th/18th. Feedback has been positive and despite the sudden dip in weather conditions your Ladies Committee hopes that everyone is feeling good about getting back out there – whenever the time is right for you.
There have been at least two new lady members since Lockdown and we welcome them, hoping that it won’t be too long before we can all actually meet to put names to faces. If you see new people out on the course please do say hello, from a distance!
The other good news is that with effect from Saturday 13 June we have returned to planned 18 hole golf and with effect from Wednesday 1 July we can commence our revised programme of competitive golf always remembering the Golf England mantra: Play Safe – Stay Safe.
Below you will find a reminder of the new conventions and information about how we are organizing competitive golf over the coming months. If you’ve got any questions please get back to your Ladies Committee via our Secretary, Beryl Austin, in the first place. And don’t forget that you must have your Club ID with you at all times when you are at the course – if you haven’t arranged yours yet, give Sarah in Main Reception a call.
- Book your tee time in advance direct with Sarah at the Clubhouse, or by using the website
- Arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to your booked tee off time
- Follow the Club’s one way check-in system going in the double doors and out through the single door
- Have your personal ID ready for inspection at Reception
- Always stay a minimum of 2 metres distant from others
DURING YOUR ROUND
- Always stay a minimum of 2 metres distant from your playing partners
- Only handle and touch your own golf kit
- Do NOT pick up stray golf balls!!
- With no rakes in the bunkers, please make every effort to smooth the sand using your club or your feet
- NEVER touch the flagstick
- Take your rubbish home with you
- Exit the course to the car park
- Do not linger even at a social distance. Head home.
LADIES’ COMPETITION GOLF
Ladies competition golf will recommence from Wednesday 1 July
- All Qualifiers will be played to the Stableford format, either over 9 or 18 holes.
- If you wish to play in a scheduled Wednesday Qualifier, you should let our Competitions Secretary, Jacqui Taylor, know by email by 1700 on the preceding Monday. Entries will be accepted in order of receipt and Jacqui will advise your tee time and playing partner(s) by 1700 on Tuesday ahead of play on the Wednesday.
- If you wish to play on a Saturday, you should make your own arrangements with the Club for a tee time.
- All participants will be required to complete a card. To avoid the “swapping” of cards, the card should annotate the participant’s personal score in the Marker’s Score column, and their playing partner’s score as Player A. The Marker must sign the card and write their name in block capitals alongside. There is no requirement for Player A to countersign the card. This is a little different from what we normally do but avoids two people handling one card and the risk of cross contamination.
- Completed cards should be placed in the Ladies Competition Box which will be situated in the lobby area of the Main Reception. All cards must be returned. Our handicap secretary, Jill Peppett, will collect cards from time to time – wearing suitable PPE – and will publish results via email.
- As you can see, for the time being we are moving to a ‘personal responsibility’ approach to participation in Qualifiers. By signing up with Jacqui you are declaring your intention to play in the competition and making a commitment to submit your card at the end of your round, whether for 18 or 9 holes. There can be no ‘nil returns’.
Ladies Singles and Ladies Summer Pairs Knock-Out Competitions
- Jacqui will be recirculating the draw for both these competitions shortly. Please note any play-by dates and if you now have a problem with competing then you should be in contact with Jacqui as soon as possible.
- Competitors should book their tee times via the Club website.
- Cards are not shared for these competitions but you will want to keep your own record of each hole as you play.
- Competitors should let Jacqui know of the result once the match is played. She will keep a record and will advise who your next match will be against.
- Please remember that there is an entry fee payable. The same payment arrangements as for Qualifiers will apply.
The Hutley Cup
- This competition is a mixed pairs knock out. The draw was made earlier in the year. Expect to hear more about this from Jacqui who will confirm the draw and dates by which matches should be completed.
- Entry Fees will be collected by BACS transfer to the PRGC Ladies Section account. Sort code: 30-96-26, Account no: 38454668.
- Please reference your payment as SFORD, SINGLES, PAIRS, HUTLEY, etc. Cost of entry for a Stableford is £3 for 18 holes and £2 for 9 holes. All competitions are £3 per person.
- If you are unable to access electronic banking our Treasurer, Beryl Austin, will keep a record of what is owing and will discuss privately with you how to settle your account. Please remember these fees are used to provide trophies, cash prizes, members’ facilities and events.
AMENDED RULES DURING SOCIAL DISTANCING
Bunkers: In competition all bunkers are in play. As there are no rakes, we will adopt a temporary rule whereby preferred lies can be taken in the bunker within one club-length of the original spot and not nearer to the hole than that spot.
Hole and Holed: In accordance with Golf England advice, our hole liners have been set in a way that means all of the ball cannot be below the surface of the putting green. The ball is considered holed if it comes to rest in the hole with any part of it below the surface of the putting green. There will be no gimmees in any Qualifiers. In knock-out competitions, gimmees are of course permissible.
All ladies are encouraged to consider submitting supplementary cards ahead of the planned revision of the handicap system later this year. This will help ensure that you have a realistic handicap going forward into 2021. If you wish to submit a Supplementary card which will be recorded against your handicap, you should:
- Play with a member of the Club who has a current handicap.
- Declare your intention to your playing partner before starting your round and agree whether you are playing 9 or 18 holes.
- Complete your card as if you were playing a Qualifier (see above) and clearly mark the card as Supplementary.
- After play, take a photo of your card and submit it to Jill either on 07774 584455 or by WhatsApp before you leave the Club. Nil returns are not acceptable.
- Make a BACS transfer for the entry fee using the information above and the reference SUPP.
Sat 4 July Stableford
Wed 8 July Stableford
Sat 18 July Summer Stableford – alternate day
Wed 22 July Summer Stableford
All the above are qualifying competitions
Please note that for the time being we are not re-introducing Ladies Informal Mornings. We are confident that our ladies are well enough networked to make their own arrangements for non-competition golf at this time but hope it won’t be too long before we can welcome back our informal games and the social contact that accompanies them.
As we said in our earlier communications, all this will seem very strange to begin with, but we will all become familiar with the new ways of playing competitive golf surprisingly quickly and your Ladies Committee is here to help if you have any questions. For now though we hope that you will all continue to enjoy your golf whenever you feel that you are ready to be back out on the course.
KEEP GOLFING – PLAY SAFE – STAY SAFE - ENJOY
12 June 2020